The Atmospheric Research Centre of Eastern Finland unit of Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) operates in premises of the University of Eastern Finland at the Kuopio campus. The unit employs currently 20 researchers, whose research topics revolve around research of climate change and health effects of atmospheric constituents, focusing mainly on atmospheric aerosol particles. Research is carried out in close collaboration with the University of Eastern Finland.
The Atmospheric Measurements group is looking for a highly motivated individual to work on various activities involving lidar data analysis and lidar measurements of aerosol/cloud properties. The group hosts two measurement stations in Kuopio and is active in participating in international field campaigns. We are operating a PollyXT Raman lidar, Halo Doppler lidars and Vaisala ceilometers, in addition to numerous in-situ aerosol instruments. Our current topics vary from aerosol characterization in different environments to atmospheric icing.
The position will be located in Kuopio, starting at the earliest convenience. The employment period will be until December 2018. Salary will be based on experience and performance according to the FMI salary scale.
Qualifications – candidates must have
- at least MSc degree (or equivalent) in natural or computational sciences; ideally in the area of atmospheric or climate sciences, physics or engineering
- experience in data evaluation and instrumental work
- willingness to travel and participate in campaigns
- strong computational skills (e.g. matlab, python, labview)
- strong continuous publication record (especially for doctoral applicants)
- written and spoken fluency in English
- ability to carry out independent research as well as work as part of a team
Other desirable qualifications are
- experience with lidars
- good organizational and communication skills
- a driving license
For more details, please contact Head of Group, Senior Research Scientist Mika Komppula; email@example.com, or +358 50 520 7500. Telephone response during 10-13 July, 10-14 o´clock (EET).
Atmospheric Research Centre of Eastern Finland:
To apply, send a short application together with a CV, and a list of publications to: https://www.valtiolle.fi/en-US (Application ID number: 31-103-2017) by 15 August 2017 at 10 am (EET).
Register and create an account to Valtiolle.fi system before leaving an application with attachments. (Login to Applications https://haku.valtiolle.fi/Public/Login/Applicant.aspx)